Tuesday, April 09, 2013

FoW Eastern Front terrain

After recently enjoying some MidWar games set on the Eastern front, I realised I had another gap in my terrain selection. I had no suitable looking buildings, as all my buildings are themed for the western front in Europe.

Also following on from the linear terrain walls I had in my last post, I decided some fences should be considered, as these again offer subtly differing rules to both walls and hedges.

So once again I set to, with MDF and balsa...

I roughed out the basic outer shape of 4 buildings in MDF, two single storey and 2 double storey.



I then clad these in balsa and scored in a plank pattern, used some match stick for door and window frames on the smallest building.

I completed the smallest building first and it took nearly all day to do this one building, mostly due to the fiddly nature of the windows.

I cast about for a quicker way to make the windows, and reverted to the plastic crochet mesh I used previously in my 'pirate world' 28mm scale buildings.


Roofs were made that would be lift off variety, and the double storey buildings had an insert made for the second floor that could be lifted out, allowing troops to be placed in both levels.



I wanted a simple timbered look as this was how I imagined a lot of their rustic buildings being constructed.
The forest zone of Russia having plentiful wood...This image was actually reinforced the other night watching TV and of all things the SKY Travel channel showed one of the episodes of "Worlds Greatest Motorcycle Rides" ... and this particular episode had our intrepid rider exploring Russia. One of the places he stopped off to visit was a wooden church on an island on a lake, and it struck me instantly that these wooden buildings I was busy making were going to look right!

A German column drives by this farming community
Lift off roof and second floor:



Troops can be placed inside on both ground floor and 1st floor.

  

As you can also see from above terrain I made a load of fence sections too, also out of scored balsa and mounted on lolly sticks again.

In the game, fences provide routine cover and concealment but not 'bullet proof', and whilst slow going, they do not cause bogging checks.

Finally as part of my recent terrain work, I made a bunch of dug in markers. I copied this idea from mate Paul.

They are simply made from the foam inserts from the blister packs the models come in. A hole is cut out the foam to fit the models base. The foam in then smeared and painted with a sand /paint /PVA glue mixture . Once dry, the sponge foam goes rigid and can be painted further and flocked.




Well enough for today, I have XXX Corp reinforcements  to paint up...

20 comments:

  1. This buildings could be interesting for you:
    http://wargamer.pl/index.php?catId=1436&off=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the link..., I do plan to make some more, and some thatched roof ones will be included.

      Delete
  2. Great idea with the dug in markers they are an effective way of representing that on the battle field - and look really good. Looks like the recent tournie victory has given a bit of enthusiasm to FOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks yeah, it doesn't take much to get me fired up and all enthusiastic ;-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, that's great coming from you, your stuff is top notch too.

      Delete
  4. Brilliant! You are really good at terrain and scenics. I've seen buildings just like this in Lithuania!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First class work, Scott. Looks better than store bought stuff. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats awesome really like the foam insert idea very inventive and they look great

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Andrew, I can't claim credit for that idea though, Pauls your man for that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks all guys, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And 1st prize for the Recycler of the Year goes to Scott Bowman for his clever use of used model packaging...saving the planet one blister pack at a time. Great work Scott.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - when I think back to the number I have tossed away prior to this... I could have made dug in markers for every FOW army in NZ ;-)

      Delete
  10. I should have copyrighted the "foam foxhole" idea! Seriously though, yours are much better executed than mine. I'm more of an ideas man, ie: start lots of things and don't finish them :-)
    Those buildings are superb, looking forward to blasting holes in them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah you coulda made a packet! ;-)
      Ah don't put yourself down, yours are great too and that "Stalingrad" you did is pretty fine wood work too!

      Indeed, looking forward to a return to the East...

      Delete
  11. Fantastic job on those buildings Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant stuff as usual. It looks professional, really. You could probably sell this stuff for good money!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on my blog. It is always nice to get feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...